Friday, May 12, 2006

Wilhelm I von Oranien-Nassau

In Wiesbaden we have two statues of a Wilhelm I. I've already shown you Kaiser Wilhelm I. (1797-1888) a while ago, but this one is Wilhelm I. von Oranien-Nassau (1533-1584). He was also called William the Silent, was born in the House of Nassau and became Prince of Orange (Oranien) in 1544. In the Netherlands, he is also known as the "Vader des vaderlands" (Father of the fatherland) and the Dutch national anthem, the Wilhelmus, was written in his honour.

The reason, why we have his statue here, is that Wiesbaden is part of the former dukedom Nassau. Also, it is said that Wilhelm died for his Lutheran beliefs and the church behind the statue is the Marktkirche (right next to the city hall) which is Lutheran, so to honor him his statue has been set up in front of the church.

To find out more about William the Silent, check out the article at Wikipedia.

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

At 11:27 AM, Blogger Kala said...

wow, I do not know how you do it - maintaining two blogs on a daily basis - how far apart are these two places? I suppose one must be around where you live and the other is where you work? Its interesting to see simutaneous postings from two separate places from one person, anyway, great history facts! Dutchie of Rotterdam will appreciate the mention of her country ;)

 
At 1:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful picture - the church looks really nice after the cleaning and structural work. Have you done a picture of the big Catholic church also on the Wiesbaden skyline?

 
At 1:36 PM, Blogger Bob said...

Nice statue. They should bring those fashions back:)

 
At 3:06 PM, Blogger Ineke said...

I do appreciate it Nicola!
And because of the orange in Williams (and thus our present queen too) last name, we'll all dress up like crazy coming World Championship/on Queensday/whenever the Dutch celebrate.

 
At 3:36 PM, Blogger zdenka pregelj said...

Beautiful photo!

 
At 6:48 PM, Blogger Natalie said...

Nice photo and I also enjoyed the historical info.

 
At 8:24 PM, Blogger Sam said...

What a gorgeous picture!!!
Now I'm off to get a history lesson!
:-)

 
At 1:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice angle and great frameing to get all the building in the shot...beautiful:-)

 
At 1:13 AM, Blogger Lore said...

This is a very interesting post!!!! and i like the perspective of it!!!

 
At 7:59 AM, Blogger Nicola said...

Nicholas - the Rheingau is basically just outside of Wiesbaden. I drive around in both areas quite a lot and have my camera with me all the time so it's a managable task :).

lagatta - hm, that*s a great idea for a future post :).

bob - hahah, you first ;).

dutchie - from now on I will always remember that when I see someone dressed up in orange :).

grainofsand, seesaw, natalie, sam, outdoorexposure, lore - thanks so much for your comments!

 
At 2:38 PM, Blogger Anna said...

good shot

 

Post a Comment

<< Home