Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Grüne Welle

I agree with you if you say that this is not really a pretty photo. :)
But it's actually neat what it shows: this is part of a progressive signal system in Wiesbaden. These "speed traffic lights" are positioned at the 2. Ring - a beltway going around half of the city, trying to lighten up traffic downtown.

If you don't drive faster than 30km/h here, you'll hit what we call the "Grüne Welle" (green wave). The other light shows 40 when it's on.

Sorry about the weird color of the sign above. I had my flash on and this is how the reflection came out.

Labels:

7 Comments:

At 10:35 AM, Blogger Bob said...

Nice shot. What happens if you're walking?

 
At 1:39 PM, Blogger Sam said...

What a great idea!!

 
At 1:46 PM, Blogger perle de rosée said...

Bei wieviel Kilometer/Stunde ? 1km/Stunde. Da muss man wirklich kleine Schritte machen !

 
At 2:09 PM, Blogger BarelyLiegl said...

Hihi, I'm from Germany and I've never seen such a sign.
I think it's hilarious... =)

Does it actually work?!

 
At 1:51 AM, Blogger Ggraph said...

It is a great idea. How well does it work?
Regards,
Mark

 
At 2:07 AM, Blogger Bob said...

I wish my traffic lights worked in such a coordinated fashion. Here they are triggered by the presence of traffic; in practice that means a lot of red lights. Interesting photo.

 
At 9:37 AM, Blogger Nicola said...

bob & perle de rosee - Smile! For walkers I'd say you're fine with any speed :). If you're a good cyclist you might even be able to compete with the cars here.

moonsoleil & ggraph - It works quite well if everyone else keeps the same speed as well.

grain of sand - glad you like it. I'm afraid you won't need it that often here though. I often feel like I'm hitting more the red lights than the green...

fraser - I'd say this sign is an exception. You don't see it that often here. Lots of red traffic lights here as well ;).

sam & santy - thank you for your comments! Always appreciated!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home